Friday, January 13, 2012

boy was my face red

As embarrassing as this story is, it has to be told.

Last week was tough. After being spoiled by the holidays I was just not into the work week. We are swamped at work right now with faculty recruiting and graduate student recruiting. Needless to say, by the time Friday came around I was waving the red flag on the work week.

You win work week, you win...

On Friday morning I needed to get one of our recruits on the phone. The university has this whole system of unique phone numbers making it easier to call within the university. So to dial long distance you have to push 9 first. The moment I pushed 9-1 I lost the number I need to call, found it a minute later and then proceeded to dial the rest of the number. Something didn't seem right on the other end, so I hung up and made the call again.

Well, about a minute later I, received a phone call...from the university police. The lady said that someone from this number just dialed 911.

Hand to forehead. That was me. 

I assured the nice young lady that everything was fine, and that in an attempt to dial out of the university I lost the number and must have hit 1 two times.

She explained to me that according to policy they still had to send an officer. Sure enough one showed up to check on me. I even had to give them my i.d. so they could report that I was in fact alight.Of course I apologized and promised to be more careful in the future.

I don't think I have ever been that red in my life. But, let me ask this. Why in the heck is 9 the number to dial out of the university?

You won work week, you won.

1 comment:

  1. This happens more than you would think. :) On this side of the river they ask us to dial "8" instead of 9. Maybe that would work over there too?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete