Wednesday, August 31, 2011

just a small town girl...


This random post, and awkward senior picture of me, is brought to you by 'walking beans'...

Have you ever had someone look at you like you are completely nuts when you pull out the phrase 'walking beans'? I have.

To which my co-worker replied, "there is a brand of beans called walking beans?".

No, there isn't. At least as far as I know. What I referring to was walking the bean fields. Ya know, in the days before all those terrible nasty pesticides and stuff were sprayed all over the crop that would someday become our over preserved food. Back then, weeds were pulled by hand and every summer we dreaded walking beans. 

I actually got fired from this job as a kid. I have thing with plants. They scare the heck out of me. So instead of pulling them I would kick them over, this method works great until the next day when all of weeds are standing tall again, and then someone has to walk my rows again. (oops!)

Just a little lesson to a city girl from a farm girl at work today. It was one of those moments that reminded how lucky I was to grow up on the family farm. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Julie I love this post! I love the picture of you. I love the story. I love everything about it! Hooray for farm girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I thought I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to country/farm stuff, but then again, I'm really only a wannabe farm girl. I'd never heard of walking beans. But, I've found people who don't know what detasseling is, either.

    ReplyDelete