Wednesday, July 25, 2012

pregnancy meltdown

Well, it happened. My first major pregnancy meltdown. The combination of numerous sleepless nights up with heartburn and my hormones gone wild finally got to me.

I wanted to make sure that I wrote this down for my baby girl. So one day when she is pregnant and experiencing something similar to this I can share with her how crazy I was, and she can take comfort in the fact that she is not alone. She is in fact experiencing something very normal.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but it all started with a pizza. On Monday night we really needed to get groceries but neither Nate nor I wanted to do it. We had a coupon for pizza so we decided to go ahead and order in (which we rarely do).

My little brother, Andrew, is living with us for the summer so I called down to his room to see what he would want. His reply was sausage (the one topping I have not been able to stand this entire pregnancy).

My response was a fairly loud and clear no. To which my dear husband said my name in that way that lets me know I better calm down. Next thing I know I am in the bedroom crying about sausage pizzas, nobody caring about how the house looks, being a working mom and somehow 20 minutes later landed on how I will never be pretty ever again. When I reached this point Nate pointed out that maybe I should lay down and rest. My sweet little Coop came in and gave me kisses.

I can look back at it and smile now, but it all seemed very serious at the time. The truth of it is that being a new mom is not only very exciting, but also pretty scary. There are a lot of unknowns that lie ahead of me, and I really struggle with not being in control or having all of the answers. So although I am not proud of how I acted, I think new expecting moms (in fact all moms) deserve a little credit. It's an amazing thing growing a little one inside of your belly, and it is also a lot of hard work. However, I am certain that it will be 100% worth all the craziness in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Julie... I totally understand how you're feeling. During the few major meltdowns that I have had I struggled with feeling bad for myself, being angry at the world (mainly Jake), and being frustrated because I couldn't get enough justification from anyone else in the house for my actions (I just wanted them to feel bad for me and listen to me but I'm sure that's hard to do when I'm going nuts). Anyway, hang in there. You'll probably have more of these and that's okay. Know that mothers everywhere are in support of you. :)

    ReplyDelete