Wednesday, May 11, 2011

meet cute

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop
Describe how you met your best friend.

You know in movies when the girl is looking for love and can't seem to find anything besides one jerk after the other? Oh, and she has that really nice, smart, and good looking guy friend that she can't seem to realize is perfect for her. Yep, I was that girl. I spent the first couple of years in college trying to convince my friends (but mostly myself) that Nate and I were just really good friends. Which we were/are, but looking back I can see now that the man up above had much bigger plans for us. I will save the details on how love came about for us another day. Let's just start with our meet cute...

Nate and I had been in the same place at the same time a couple times before and yet had never met. We grew up in small towns (we're talking to a couple hundred people in my town) about 20 minutes from each other and attended rival high schools. I even cheered against him. Nate  remembers meeting me once briefly the summer before I started college, but since I have no recollection of this I  decided that doesn't really count. Fair enough, right?

When I left for college, I was terrified and excited. I knew no one. Well, except for a friend of a friend who kindly gave me his number so that I could call him if I needed anything. My parents had something going on and could not make the trip with me the day I moved to college. They would be coming up the next day. I remember slowly packing my car. The nerves were starting to get the best of me, but I was excited to meet my roommate and start this new chapter in my life.

When I arrived at my dorm I met my roommate briefly before she was off to eat with a friend (we also became best friends, so infact I met two of my best friends on the same day!). She had been there only a couple hours more than me and already made a friend. Here I was standing alone trying to figure out the quickest way to get my car unloaded and out of the way so someone else could move in.

Remember that friend of a friend that gave me his number? Well, I caved in and called him. Shortly after, he showed up to help me unload my car. Luckily, for me, he brought his roommate and another friend. Loads of man power to help me, heck yeah! 

That's when it happened, that's when I met my best friend. The person who knows me better than anyone else, who understands me, and always listens. Out of the car stepped Nate in some basketball shorts and a cutoff t-shirt (oww oww). I often wish I could go back to that moment and watch us. Did I know then or even have a hunch of what would come? I can't be sure, but I like to think so. That day, almost 6 years ago now, was the day that our friendship began...

(our first picture together just weeks after moving to school)

No comments:

Post a Comment