Thursday, May 5, 2011

Words of Encouragement

Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop
write about a special memory you have of your mom in honor of Mother’s Day

The difficult daughter. Yes, that was me. I will always probably be the difficult one. I always had something to say back, or would argue my thoughts and feelings until I was sure my point had been clearly made. Independence was what I dreamed of. The chance to decide things for myself.

The summer after my senior year of high school Mom and I spent two days at my college orientation. I decided to go to a University 3.5 hours from home. I knew no one who lived there.

Growing up in a small town everyone knows everyone. I dreamed to go to a place where there wasn't a soul who knew me. It was bound to be an exciting journey of self discovery.

It was the second day that we were there. We sat down to eat lunch and I began to look around me, to take in everything my new home had to offer.  I suddenly and unexpectingly filled with panic. It was the moment I realized how much I would miss the comfort of my friends and family. I voiced my concerns to my mom.

She looked at me and told me what a strong person I am. Reassured me that I would make lots of friends. That if I ever needed anything she was just a phone call away. She said she knew that I could do this. I will never forget that converstation with my mom. After that conversation I never once looked back. I knew I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment