Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Birthdayversary!


I am really excited to celebrate my first ever Birthdayversary this Saturday! What exactly is a Birthdayversary one may ask?

Well, it's when you get to celebrate your birthday and anniversary on the same day. And I happen to think it's pretty great too.

When Nate first proposed, on August 13, 2009, we set the date for October 2, 2010. Right away my husband and other devoted Hawkeye fans expressed their concern with this being a game day. Ugh.

That wasn't the only reason we decided to change the date. Nate was also graduating from Palmer School of Chiropractic in October. A wedding, honeymoon, graduation, and a possible move that would require me to search for a new job was just to overwhelming for me.

So I called the venue to see what Fridays would be open in the summer, and believe it or not July 2nd, my birthday, was the only one.

I struggled with deciding on this date at first. People told me I would regret it and advised me not to do so. One lady even told me that if we get divorced I would always hate my birthday. To which I replied, "Oh yeah true, but I am not really going to this whole marriage thing thinking about how I will feel when I get divorced". I guess I just don't think that is a great way to start a marriage.

Anyhow, when it came down to it I was actually excited about getting married on my birthday. For a couple of reasons:
  1. It is my most favorite day of the year. Why wouldn't I want to share it with Nate?
  2. Having been born two days before the country's birthday I have a kind of love/hate relationship with the 4th of July. This stems from a lot of patriotic gifts that where presented during my childhood. American flag t-shirts, coins, and teddy bears holding flags.

    I LOVE the fireworks and the celebrations, but there is a sense of all this partying going on but absolutely none of it is for me. I like my attention. Everyone always has something going on that weekend. No one is free for a day all about Julie (it sounds awful but I am being honest here).

    A wedding would surely fix this. I would invite everyone to the biggest birthday bash ever!
  3. Also, I am following the footsteps of my very sweet godmother, Brenda. She too was married on her birthday, in July and even on a Friday. How unique is that? I was supposed to be born right on/around her wedding day, but mom scheduled me a little bit early so that she and I could both be sure to attend. 

(Brenda and a new born Julie-Sorry the picture looks all scratched up and that jazz)

When I was told that my birthday was the only day open it just kind of seemed like it was meant to be. So we went with it. Now, my lucky hubby only has to remember one very special day of the year. Let's just hope he doesn't ever forget.



1 comment:

  1. If he forgets he's REALLY going to be in trouble. :)

    Happy upcoming birthdayversary!

    ReplyDelete